Saturday, November 13, 2010

This....


...this large thing on my nose is what I get for going to the dermatologist! Ha!
{Why am I showing you? I don't know, maybe it makes me feel better to let you know, in case you see me and wonder if that's a wart on my nose!}

Okay, let me explain. First off, I go every 6 months now and I've been going for the last 5 years due to the history in my family, my fair skin and the down right stupid mistakes I made in the past ie: too much sun exposure and not enough sun block. Seriously, if I could take back the damage I did and listen to what my mom said, I would in a heart beat.

So I was extremely nervous for this check up even though I was just at another dermatologist in July, yes, less than 6 months ago. But everything with my dad has made me super nervous so I wanted another opinion. My old derm hasn't removed anything or frozen anything in 2 years and this new guy took off two moles, wants to remove 2 more and basically froze the tip of my nose off. But I'm loving this new guy. He's aggressive and that's what I want. He doesn't think the ones he's removed and the ones he's going to remove are bad moles but he doesn't want to risk it. Oh I'm just hoping and praying my old derm was right in his ways and this new guy is just overly cautious.

What was on my nose was called actinic keratosis- precancerous. It was an innocent small red mark, hardly visible but now it looks like a witches wart, it will go away-it's just a blister from the freezing he did, but it's a tad bit embarrassing. I've had this done before but forgot how it ends up looking for a good week or so. Did I mention it oozes from time to time? Yeah, gross, I know.

So now I wait. Wait for the biopsy results from the 2 moles he removed and wait to get these others removed and then wait for those results. I HATE waiting! I've waited in the past for things and received bad news. I've also waited and received okay news. But lately I've had issues with my health where I've had to wait, stress, wonder and quite frankly I'm over it! Am I nervous? Well how can I not be with everything that has happened with my dad? Speaking of my dad, he's doing well! He's getting radiation now but seems to be okay. He's recovered very well from his surgeries too. He's hoping to get into a clinical trial soon. Still need those prayers though;)

So I'm going to try real hard, with lots of prayer to not dwell on this. I really am sick of worrying about my health. Worrying won't change anything, it will only add more stress. I've changed my ways when it comes to the sun, (like pretty much gone to the extreme to avoid it and lathering up in sunblock every day, seriously.) and that's all I can do.

The take away for you is this: don't be stupid, go to the dermatologist and protect yourself from the sun. For the record my dad was not a sun worshipper like I was. You don't necessarily have to be. But if you are or you have a family history of melanoma, do yourself a favor and make an appointment.

Okay I'm stepping off my soap box now and that's the end of my little pity party;)


5 comments:

  1. Praying for you (& your dad still) for peace and great results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I thought is was the only one who worries about waiting on doctor results. I know it's not healthy to worry like I do. So in addition to praying for good results, I always pray for God to calm my nerves. It helps a lot. I will keep you in my prayers tonight and I will ask him to calm your nerves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Dad had melanoma 2 years ago. I go to the dermatologist every year and luckily the 2 spots he removed were nothing. My dad is a carrier of the BRCA2 gene (the breast cancer gene). The gene manifests mainly as melanoma or prostate cancer in men. I was tested and thankfully do not carry this gene. However, I still go to the dermatologist b/c I'm so pale and better safe than sorry. Too bad the "wart" came after halloween...it would have been an awesome accessory to a witches costume. My husband always tells me there is no use worrying till there is something to worry about....easier said than done I know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for good results! I went to the derm. for the first time ever last April...he removed 8 moles, one of which was melanoma on my arm. Praise the Lord for whatever article, or blog I read or news story I heard that put it into my head that I should go for a check-up. Hopefully your post will do the same for someone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. saying prayers for your dad and waiting to hear the GOOD results from your biopsies :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts so go ahead and leave a comment!